Thursday, August 14, 2008

And now 29...

Yesterday was my birthday. I turned twenty-nine. I've never been concerned about aging or anything like that. It's a natural thing - we all do it - and men with crinkle lines around their eyes are sexy.

I consider myself very not concerned with aging.

Which is why I was so surprised with my response to my niece's statement yesterday:

Me: Who's going to wish me a happy birthday!?!?

All the kids: Happy Birthday!

Siearah: So, you're 30 now!

Me: I am NOT 30! I'm 29!!!! I have another year before I turn 30!! Don't say I'm 30!!

And so on and so forth.

It was pretty ridiculous. I guess this is when I start really scouring my reflection for grey hairs and wrinkles and things like that.

On the 12th, Dad came over after he got out of work - around 10:30pm - I was in the middle of cleaning the living room, and had just put a movie in (Vantage Point - it gets 3 out of four stars from me) - just the previews though, and invited him to watch it with me. He had to shower first (he lives way out in the woods with no running water, so sometimes comes over to shower), and then visit with Sarah for a bit. Then we watched the movie. Afterwards we just hung out and talked for a bit. He gave me my birthday present (the CD from Flight of the Conchords - I am so loving it!!) and then when I walked out onto the porch with him, he saw a shooting star. Every year, I get the perseids during my birthday. I stayed out for about ten minutes after he left trying to see one, but I didn't. I hope there'll at least be something happening when I'm in Northfield this weekend.

I had a good birthday all around. I went to the gym, and at the Y that I go to - when you scan your membership card on your birthday the machine sings happy birthday to you. On usual days, its robotic little voice says "welcome". Of course, I had to scan my card three times.

After work, Asrai and I met mom at Bugaboo Creek. I got my fave meal there - the trader somebody's pasta with chicken and broccoli. Holy freaking deliciousness. Mom gave me some amazing alpaca knee-socks. I'm excited to wear them this winter with a foofy skirt. At the end of the meal, the waitresses came out and clapped and sang and made me kiss the giant buffalo head. It was a good thing.

From there, we went to Conni's pampered chef party. I ordered a medium bar pan (stoneware of course, because that's all I ever bake with). It will sit on my beautiful new baker's rack.

After I got home - I worked on the living room. As this wouldn't be the messiest mom blog without me having tried to control the messiness a little. I brought down a HUGE bookcase from the hallway upstairs to the living room. We have so many freaking DVDs they're running around all over the place. So - I put them on this massive five foot tall wooden bookcase. (there's one empty shelf that I've decided means I need to buy more movies). Then, I started going through a basket that was just filled to the brim with dvds not in their cases. Do you have any idea how hard it is to find the case when they're in no discernable order? Well, I do. That just wouldn't do - so I decided to alphabetize them, so I could find the cases more easily. I apparently really like programs that start with the letters S & G. Then I was able to match up movies to cases.

The house is still a raving pit of messiness, but one little corner is obscenely organized. And I'm still maintaining a fruit-fly free environment. Which is definitely a success.

All in all - turning 29 was a good thing.

No comments: