Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Oh the efforts I make

I was good last night. I FINALLY got the laundry done. But then, as a reward to myself for having spent all that time in a hot laundromat, I went and did a little shopping at Goodwill. It was that, or go get an ice cream, and I'd rather get new clothes than fat, so I went with the new clothes.

Now, of course, this means I have a whole bunch of lovely clean clothes and ought to put them away. I did take the time/energy to put fresh sheets and pillow cases on my bed (I'll do Asrai's before she gets back from my mother's house) but did not get the clothes into the dresser. I have one laundry hamper upstairs in my room, and the other downstairs in the living room. Taking up some of the space that was formerly occupied by trash.

The fruit flies are getting a little hardier. Last night, I disconnected the dishwasher tube (it's one of the portable ones that rolls around my kitchen and attaches to the sink) and a flock of fruit flies flew at me. I don't know where they came from, maybe someone has a garden going in the sewer beneath my house or something like that. My response to fruit flies is clorox clean-up. It's a time-tested remedy. Granted, you don't want to spray the piece of watermelon you're about to eat with it - but generally the fruit flies like the older, ickier food.

I gave them a good showering with lots of clorox clean up, and I swear I could almost hear their pitiful little cries. But I hate bugs, so I'm okay with it.

This morning, I had to stop at the sink to fill up my water bottle before I headed to work. And there were fruit flies!!!! Just a couple, but I'm afraid they're becoming bleach resistant, like antibiotic-resistant infections. Maybe I should contact the CDC. Then again, maybe I should clean my kitchen, right?

On a sidenote, yesterday I was walking to the water fountain at the office, and I heard this squealing noise. Come to find out, that behind the GINORMOUS grate on the wall (for heating/cooling) - there is apparently a little family of birds living. As I've heard about animals going in there and never coming out, I must say I'm a bit concerned for these baby birds. Hopefully they'll be able to get out, and will be hardier for it. I am tempted to throw bits of popcorn in there for them, but have a sneaking suspicion that sort of behavior could be frowned upon.

No comments: